OLD TOWN HALL- MILLINGTON SCHOOLHOUSE NEWS

June 2010

Based on the previous year of documenation work by Clarke Caton Hintz, Long Hill Township was awarded a grant for $162,712. for exterior restoration construction by the Morris County Historic Preservation Trust Fund. As soon as legal agreements with Morris County are concluded, Long Hill Township can begin the bidding process in order to hire contractors for the construction work. It is hoped that physical work of the restoration of the building can begin during 2011.

January 2010

Historic Preservation Contractor Clarke Caton Hintz has nearly completed its Historic Sites Report (HSR) and Preservation Plan (PP). They are also preparing a nomination for the building to be listed on the National and State Registers of Historic Places. (It already has been pre-qualified to be on the registers with a Certificate of Eligibility) Read a draft of the reports at this link.

May 2009

Long Hill has been approved for a second grant from the New Jersey Historic Trust. The grant administrators in Trenton and in Morristown are attempting to reconcile the overlapping scopes of the two grants. The new historic preservation contractor has begun site survey work on the schoolhouse.

March 2009

The change in the historic architect/consultant requested by the Long Hill Historic Preservation Advisory Committee has been approved by Morris County. Reconciliation of differences between the contract offered by Long Hill and the scope of work in the Morris County grant still need to be resolved.

December 2008

The Historic Preservation Advisory Committee is in the process of changing the historic architect/consultant originally approved by Morris County. The new proposed firm is currently under review by the Morris County grant program staff and its independent outside reviewer. 75% of the 2008 grant work must be completed by January 7, 2009 in order for Long Hill to be eligible for another grant in 2009.

September 2008

The Township Committee accepted the grant offer from the Morris County Historic Preservation Trust Fund. However, the Historic Preservation Advisory Committee is seeking to change the terms under which the grant was offered. This will delay the commencement of the work the grant is to fund which will make the possibility of a second grant in 2009 less likely.

June-July 2008

The grant application for the first phase of restoration funding has been approved by the Morris County Historic Preservation Trust Fund. The county grant program is waiting for acceptance by the Township Committee before the grant deadline expires in September.

May 2008

A Certificate of Eligibilty for the National and State Registers of Historic Places has been issued by the NJ State Historic Preservation Office.

March-April 2008

A grant application for restoration funding has been made to the Morris County Historic Preservation Trust Fund. A filing has also been made with the NJ State Historic Preservation Office for preliminary registration on the State and National Register of Historic Places.


SAVE THE OLD TOWN HALL
(again)

THANK YOU LONG HILL FOR VOTING
YES ON
MUNICIPAL
QUESTION No. 1
Nov. 2006
.
THE PROJECT TO RESTORE AND REUSE THE OLD TOWN HALL IS NOW POSSIBLE.

click here
FOR MORE INFORMATION




2006
COLORING
CONTEST
WINNERS

Welcome to the Historical Society's website. We'll be adding more content from our archives as soon as we can.

LONG HILL TOWNSHIP HISTORICAL SOCIETY

1908 photo of Long Hill Road
Long Hill Road, Millington looking east from Basking Ridge Road - 1908
click on the photo to see a larger version (postcard photo courtesy of Dale Monetti)

Next meeting program: Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 7:30 pm.
PLEASE NOTE NEW VENUE
All Saints Episcopal Church Parish Hall at 15 Basking Ridge Road, Millington
Ample parking is available right next to the Parish Hall on Church Street.  The lighting is good and the hall is handicap accessible.

"The Meuse-Argonne Offensive of World War I."

Mr. Randal Gaulke will host a presentation on the Meuse-Argonne Offensive of World War I.  This Presentation will marry a selection of “Then and Now” photos with letters, diaries, etc. written by doughboys who participated in the Great War at/near those locations.

The Meuse-Argonne Offensive was the largest independent American offensive against the Imperial German Army during the Great War. It began on September 26, 1918 less than two weeks after the St. Mihiel Offensive ended. The initial assault involved nine AEF divisions—including four green divisions—on approximately a 30-kilometer-wide front. By war end the battle involved portions of 23 American divisions and 1.2 million U.S. troops (not counting French units); and it produced an estimated 110,000 casualties, or more than 2,300 casualties per day.

On the other side, the Imperial German Army fought tenaciously well into mid-October; even as signs of defeat continued to accelerate. This presentation is dedicated to presenting both sides of that battle.

Randal Gaulke has been studying WW1 and its battlefields for almost four decades.  His interest began in 1980 with the purchase of the role-playing game “Fight in the Skies.”  His love of the battlefields began in 1986 when he took his first battlefield tour with Lt. Col. Graham Parker, OBE, of Flanders Tours; and his preoccupation with the Meuse-Argonne battlefield began in 1994 when he participated in a work weekend with the Deutsches Erinnerungskommittee Argonnerwald.  Since 1986 he has visited the battlefields, especially the Meuse-Argonne, more than twenty times; and he enjoys guiding groups and individuals on the battlefields.

In 2017 he quit his job as a financial analyst in order to work and live in France for six months as a freelance tour guide to the American battlefields.  During those months he led numerous individual and small-group tours.  Being on the ground for six months allowed him to make connections and understand the terrain to a degree that is not possible during a short vacation.

When not guiding tours, Randal continues to be busy with other WW1 activities; including: maintaining his travel-oriented website, http://meuse-Argonne.com, and Facebook group with the same name; writing and preparing historical presentations; and taking an active role in historical associations such as the World War 1 Historical Association, where he serves as a director.

Randal has written two chapters in Ed Lengel’s book, “A Companion to the Meuse-Argonne Campaign,” (Wiley-Blackwell, May 2014) that describe the Meuse-Argonne Offensive from the viewpoint of two German regiments.  His assistance and scholarship has also been acknowledged in several books, including Mitch Yockelson’s “Forty-Seven Days…” and Stephen Skinner’s “Frank Luke:  The Stand…”  


Meetings are held at All Saints Episcopal Church Parish Hall at 15 Basking Ridge Road, Millington
Ample parking is available right next to the Parish Hall on Church Street.  The lighting is good and the hall is handicap accessible..

Unless otherwise announced, meetings and presentations start at 7:30 pm. Meetings are free and open to the public. Refreshments will be served. For more information, comments or questions email to Beg51@aol.com or call 908-647-1523.


Historical Society members: 2017 membership dues of $20 will be collected at this meeting. Donations are always appreciated.

logo of the Historical Society   
 
The Long Hill Township Historical Society was established in 1965 as the Passaic Township Historical Society.  The formation of the society evolved from the Passaic Township Tercentenary Committee. Every municipality throughout the state was asked to chronicle the State of New Jersey's tercentennial in some manner. 

The Township Committee appointed the Passaic Township Tercentenary Committee to lead the project in our township.  One result was the publication of "Passaic Township, A Short History Published in Connection with the New Jersey Tercentennial 1664-1964".

Members of this committee were responsible for establishing the Passaic Township Historical Society in 1965.  The first officers were Ms. Gwendolyn Thomas, president; Mr. Reinhart Rist, vice president; Ms. Esther Cornish, secretary; and Mr. Jean Cornish, treasurer.

The organization is dedicated to the preservation of the cultural and historical heritage of the community.  The current officers and meeting schedule are listed at the bottom of this page.

Projects completed by the Historical Society have included:
  • Creation of an official township flag which was presented to township officials for display in the town hall;
  • Tours of historical homes in the township in 1981 and 1995;
  • Publication of "A Guide to Historic Buildings and Sites in Passaic Township"in 1984;
  • Publication of "Passaic Township, A Short History Published in Connection with the New Jersey Tercentennial 1664-1964";
  • Images of America, Long Hill Township, A Photographic History written by Mary Lou Weller, Historian of the Society, was released in 1997.  The book is available for purchase through the Historical Society.  Contact Rene Phelan.
  • Completion of the project to establish a memorial marker for the Revolutionary War Beacon at the corner of Long Hill Road and Pleasant Plains Road.
  • A donation was made to the Morris County Heritage Commission for an historical marker on Central Avenue to commemorate the Stirling Workers' District.

The Historical Society provides expertise and documentation to the Long Hill Township Historic Preservation Advisory Commttee, an appointed branch of the local goverenment which reports to the Planning Board, Zoning Board of Adjustment, the Township Committee, or any division of local government which requires historic preservation input.

The Society has a number of maps, books, photographs, audio tapes, and artifacts, many of which are currently housed in the Long Hill Library for preview by interested community members. A list of the holdings is on file at the Library.  The room at the Library is open to the public most Wednesdays from 1 to 3 pm or by appointment. The collection includes the following:
  • 50 historical maps of Long Hill Township
  • Two albums of photographs of houses, residents, and local topics
  • Books and tapes of remembrances of life in Long Hill Township during the early to mid 1900's
  • Family information and histories.
LONG HILL TOWNSHIP HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Barbara Grillo, President, 908-647-1523
Larry Fast, Vice-President 908-647-3007
Kathy Pfeil, Treasurer 908-350-8012
Guy Roshto, Secretary
Trustees:
Todd Heacock
Claire Monroe
Phyllis Fast
Historian:
Kelly Roshto
Meetings: 2nd Thursdays at 7:30 at the Long Hill First Aid Squad Building, except for January, July and August
 
MEMBERSHIP DUES
Life Membership - one time payment $150
Household (family or individual) - per year $20
Send dues payable to:
Long Hill Twp.Historical Society.
Kathy Pfeil, Treasurer
123 Cross Hill Road.
Millington, NJ 07946

In Memoriam

Passaic Township/Long Hill Township Historical Society member, officer, trustee
Rene' Phelan 1926-2017

Passaic Township/Long Hill Township Historical Society President
Bill Watts 1923-2016

Passaic Township/Long Hill Township Historical Society member, officer, trustee
Rose Watts 1923-2011

Lo Long Hill Township Historian
Passaic Township/Long Hill Township Historical Society member
Mary Lou Weller 1935-2010


© Long Hill Township Historical Society
materials on this site may not be republished without the express permission of the Long Hill Township Historical Society

--[1/22/18]--